Thursday, November 19, 2009

Social Security and going back to work question?

I now receive Social Security. I am 64. I will need to return to work next summer. I am very confused here.





I understand that I can work part-time and make only so much money a year. I cannot support myself on part-time money. If I want to work full time and make more than I am allowed to work - what happens? Am I allowed to do this. Do I have to pay a penalty fine for making too much money.





Someone said if I make more than I am allowed - all I have to do at that point in pay in to Social Security. Not sure that is correct.





Can I keep my Social Security check and go back to work or do they cut me off. I cannot find these answers and hope someone can help me.





Thank you

Social Security and going back to work question?
Earnings Limits





Under federal law, people who are receiving Social Security benefits who have not reached full retirement age are entitled to receive all of their benefits as long as their earnings are under the limits indicated below. For people born in 1943, the full retirement age is 66. The full retirement age will increase gradually each year until it reaches age 67 for people born in 1960 or later.





At full retirement age or older


2007 - No limit on earnings


2008 - No limit on earnings





Under full retirement age


2007 - $12,960 / For every $2 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits.


2008 - $13,560 / For every $2 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits.





In the year you reach full retirement age


2007 - $34,440 / For every $3 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits until the month you reach full retirement age.


2008 - $36,120 / For every $3 over the limit, $1 is withheld from benefits until the month you reach full retirement age.
Reply:after you become 65, there is no penalty to working and drawing Social Security.





before you are 65, there is.





for specific details, get an appointment with a live person at your local SSA office. appointments are made online through their website at ssa.gov


No comments:

Post a Comment