Friday, November 13, 2009

Are there any social science careers that pay well?

I recently graduated with a bachelor's degree in social work. I liked learning about it but I am not sure I want to be a social worker. I like the social sciences and I have considered getting a phd in one of the social sciences probably political science. I also saw a program that offers a phd in social work and another social science, and i have considered that. I would like to work as a professor or as a researcher because i like learning about things like poverty, crime, mental health, politics, etc. The only problem is the pay. I have been told by several people that the pay is not that great. I know money is not everything, but it is nice to have. I have also considered careers in math and medicine. I am less passionate about these fields but I feel I could make more money. I was wondering if there are any careers in social science that pay well, or should I just pick something else.

Are there any social science careers that pay well?
A few thoughts:





1) If you are not well suited to working directly with people but do like social work as a profession then a career in social work research and academics is certainly a possibility.


2) There are some phd programs in social work that will consider people directly from a BSW (though the more normative route is to get you MSW and then apply for a PhD.


3) In social work the norm is to work a few years post MSW before going on for your PhD. This often makes more competitive in getting into a PHD program (again this is not necessary).


4) Salary in the private arena of research can be very lucrative, one of my doctoral colleagues who has his own research business makes a very nice 6 figure salary.


5) Salaries in research 1 schools in which you are successful in grant writing and a good scholarship agenda can also be good 6 figures.





DA
Reply:No. You wasted four years of college.

dentures

No comments:

Post a Comment