Friday, November 13, 2009

Social worker Vs Psychologist?

I'm doing a Bsc in Psychology and once I finish this I hope to get a joint Msc in Public health and either social work or psychology.


I dont know whether I should go for social work or Psychology. I like helping people and I like health - but I dont know which two areas would blend well.


Is it possible to become a Social worker with a degree in Psychology and a Msc in Social work?


And I have to think about the amount of time that I would need to alocate to these areas, once I start a career. Would it be possible for me to become a Public health promoter AND a Social worker or a Public health promoter and a Psychologist?

Social worker Vs Psychologist?
In general you will find social work and public health a much closer fit than psychology and public health. Public health and social work are both concerned with the public good and both are concerned with health (looking at the HIV/AIDS area is the easyest place to see this.





Many with a BA in psychology go on to get an MSW (probably the most common combination- sociology probably second).





As for time there are a number of combined or joint MSW degrees with public health. There is also a public health area of NASW.





DA
Reply:I work with social workers and therapists with degrees in psychology every day. I have to say that Licensed Master Social Worker is the preferred degree. You can work anywhere with that degree: social work agencies, mental health agencies, hospitals, schools, police department, court system, etc. There is a great need for social workers right now and the field is open. However, if you get a degree in Psychology on the Master's level your options are a lot more limited.


No comments:

Post a Comment